Rev. 4 Feb. 1998, Gen. 758
DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM GRAVE AND ELIZABETH ------
OF THORGANBY & COTTINGWITH, YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
William Grave (1) of Thorganby, Yorkshire, married Elizabeth ------. His will was dated 20 Sept. 1574, and was proved 3 Oct. 1577. His will mentions his wife and children, and that he is to be buried in Thorganby churchyard.
An ancestor may have been Thomas Grayve of Westcotyngwyth. Cottingwith is a district 8 miles southeast of York. He married Isabella ------. Administration for the estate of this Thomas was granted 2 Aug. 1403 to his son John. Power of administration was reserved to his relict Isabella.
A brother or cousin of William Grave may have been Edward Grave of Cottingwith, whose will was dated 16 Feb. 1587/8, proved 21 March 1588. His will specified his burial in Thorganby churchyard, and leaves his house and land at Cottingwith and land at Driffield to sister Elizabeth; a cow to Janet Grayve, my brother's daughter; Henry, son of my sister Elizabeth. Executors: brother Thomas Grave of York, and John Hutton. Edward Grave had sister Elizabeth (who had son Henry), and brother Thomas of York. (R-1)
Children - Grave
2. Robert Grave, m. Alice ------, d. Jan. 1586/87.
+3. Thomas Grave, m. ------, d. Feb. or April 1607.
4. Katherine Grave
5. Isabel Grave
6. Elizabeth Grave
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM GRAVE (1) AND ELIZABETH ------
Thomas Grave (or Gravies) (3) was of West Cottingwith, Yorkshire. He was a husbandman (farmer). His will was dated 11 Feb. 1606/7, and proved 17 April 1607, and stated that he was to be buried in Thorganby churchyard. "My farmhold in Cottingwith to son William, if it please God he live; my house and croft in Cottingwith, bought from William and Robert Arthur, to son Thomas"; other provisions mentioned in case son William die without issue. Supervisors: Mr. Fell of York, Esay Haxby, Peter Blanchard of Melborn. He married ------. (R-1)
Children - Grave
7. William Grave, prob. m. Mary ------. Administration of William Grave of West Cottingwith was granted to his widow Mary on 25 Jan. 1643/4.
+8. Thomas Grave, prob. m. Elizabeth ------, d. April 1645.
9. Katherine Grave
10. Fraunces Grave
CHILDREN OF THOMAS GRAVE (3)
Thomas Grave (8) probably married Elizabeth ------. There was a Thomas Graves of Seaton Ross who married Elizabeth, and this is probably the same person. His will is dated 24 March 1644/5, and proved 22 April 1645. He was a farmer. He was to be buried in Seaton churchyard. His will mentions property and interests in Cottingwith. Elizabeth was a legatee in her husband's will of life interest in the farmhold, and guardianship of all children named below. (R-1)
Children - Graves
11. Robert Graves; legatee in father's will of £4 and a wayne and a coope plough and teames, etc., and reversion of farm on hjis mother's death.
12. Francis Graves (2nd son); legatee of £5 in the hands of John Swan of East Cottingwith.
13. Ann Graves (2nd child)
14. Thomas Graves; youngest son; legatee in father's will of the little cottage situated in West Cottingwith, and £8, now in the hands of Hugh Swan of East Cottingwith. It seems probable the little cottage mentioned was the ancestral house and croft in West Cottingwith.
Return toAlphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return toMain Page