Rev. 19 Sept. 2005, Gen. 535
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES DAVID GRAVES AND MARY ANN DURHAM
OF NC & TN
James David Graves (1), perhaps called David, was born about 1821 in NC, and died in 1857. He married Mary (“Polly”) Ann Durham, daughter of James Durham and Lydia Gillespie, in 1838 in Sumner Co., TN. She was born about 1823 in Sumner Co., TN, and died 20 April 1907 in Texola, Beckham Co., OK.
They were in the 1850 census for Sumner Co., TN, 16th district, page 297, house 20, with children James, 8, Louisa, 6, Nancy, 3, and Enie, 6/12, and he was listed as David. Her parents, with 4 of their children, were listed on the same page in house 22. The census was taken on Oct. 8, 1850. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. James Carrol Graves, b. 22 Dec. 1839, m. Rebecca Elmina Travelstead, 13 Feb. 1866, d. 28 Dec. 1932.
3. Louisa Catherine Graves, b.c. 1844.
4. Nancy Graves, b. 4 Feb. 1846 (Sumner Co., TN), m. Henry Clarida or Clariday, d. 18 April 1923 (Texola, OK). She could not be found in the 1880 census. She was called Samantha by R‑1, but Nancy in the 1850 census; perhaps Samantha was her first name and Nancy or Ann was her middle name.
+5. Enia Elmina Graves, b. 8 April 1850, m. Samuel Barter.
6. John Graves, b.c. 1854 (Sumner Co., TN).
+7. Mittie Mahala Graves, b.c. 1855, m. James Henry Travelstead, 28 Dec. 1875.
CHILDREN OF JAMES D. GRAVES (1) AND MARY A. DURHAM
James Carrol Graves (2) was born 22 Dec. 1839 in Sumner Co., TN, and died 28 Dec. 1932 in Texola, OK. He married Rebecca Elmina Travelstead on 13 Feb. 1866. She was born 14 Sept. 1850 in Allen, Floyd Co., KY, and died 5 April 1929 in Texola, Beckham Co., OK. Their first 6 children were born in Harrisburg, Saline Co., IL, and the last 2 in Gainesville, Cooke Co., TX.
They were in the 1880 census for District 107, Brushy Twp., Saline Co., IL, page 12D, with all children born in IL. His mother was living with them in 1880. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
8. John David Graves, b. 13 Jan. 1867, m. Betty Ann Ponger (or Poncer), d. 3 Dec. 1929 (Texola, OK).
+9. George Jasper Graves, b. 23 July 1872, m. Emma Ruth Daniell, 12 Nov. 1898, d. 2 April 1939.
10. William Henry Graves, b. 31 Jan. 1875, d. 15 Aug. 1928 (Texola, OK).
11. Lydia Agnes Graves, b. 30 Sept. 1877, m. John Robert Basset, Aug. 1894, d. 6 Jan. 1960 (Erick, OK).
12. Florence Ann Graves, b. 30 Dec. 1879, m. Phil Berry (?), d. 1967 (?). This child was listed in the 1880 census as Martha W. Graves, age 6 months.
13. Alice Graves, b. 20 March 1883, m. W. J. Travelstead, d. 1952 (?) (Texola, OK).
14. Anna Mae Graves, b. 5 March 1887, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Short, d. 1959 (prob. Beckham Co., OK).
15. Minnie Lee Graves, b. 1 March 1890.
Enie (“Enie”) Elmina Graves (5) was born 8 April 1850 in Sumner Co., TN, and died in Harrisburg, IL. She married Samuel Barter, son of James Samuel Barter and Elizabeth Easterbrook. He was born 22 Dec. 1846 in Lydford, Devon, England, and died in 1914. Both his parents were born in Widecombe-in-the-Moor, Devon, England. The Barter family had lived in Lydford, Devon (near Dartmoor) for about 300 years, and raised sheep and a few cows on leased land. His parents and some siblings immigrated to St. Thomas, Elgin Co., Ontario, Canada, when Samuel was a little boy, but Sam stayed on at his Easterbrook grandparents’ farm (as seen in the 1851 census) to help out. After his grandfather died in 1853, Sam and his elder brother, John Easterbrook Barter, took a ship called “The Rose” out of Plymouth, England to Montreal, and thence traveled to St. Thomas, Elgin Co., Ontario to meet up with his parents. From there they went to the U.S., settling in Illinois, in Williamson and Saline counties, along with some other Barter relatives. He was a farmer. They were in the 1880 census for District 107, Brushy Twp., Saline Co., IL, page 13A, and all their children were born in IL. (R‑2, R‑3)
Children - Barter
16. Mary E. Barter, b.c. 1869.
17. Lucy Jane Barter, b.c. 1871.
18. John W. Barter, b.c. 1873.
19. Avis M. Barter, b.c. 1877.
20. Maggie M. Barter, b.c. 1879.
Mittie Mahala Graves (7) was born about 1855 in Sumner Co., TN. She was listed as Mahala by R‑1, but the 1880 census listed her as Mittie M. She married James Henry Travelstead on 28 Dec. 1875. He was born about 1855 in TN. They were in the 1880 census for District 107, Brushy Twp., Saline Co., IL, page 12D, living next door to her brother James Carroll Graves.
Children - Travelstead
21. Josephine Travelstead, b.c. 1878 (IL).
22. Oliver S. Travelstead, b.c. 1879 (TX).
CHILDREN OF JAMES C. GRAVES (2) AND REBECCA E. TRAVELSTEAD
George Jasper Graves (9) was born 23 July 1872 in Harrisburg, Saline Co., IL, and died 2 April 1939. He married Emma Ruth Daniell on 12 Nov. 1898 in Gainesville, TX. She was born in 1882 in AR, and died in Sept. 1964 in Texola, OK. Their first child was born in Gainesville, TX, and the other 2 in Texola, OK. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+23. James Leland Graves, b. 27 Nov. 1899, m. Clara Amanda Haines, d. Dec. 1979.
+24. Dessie Deborah Graves, b. 11 Jan. 1903, m. Roy Taylor, Feb. 1927, d. 19 May 1976.
25. Thomas Jasper Graves, b. 1905, m. Velma ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 1935, d. 1985 (Amarillo, TX). Velma d.c. 1986-88.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page