Rev. 20 Nov. 2006, Gen. 722
DESCENDANTS OF LUTHER CALVIN GRAVES AND MARTHA ANN STEVENS OF KY, TN & TX
Luther Calvin Graves (1) was born about 1818 in KY, and died 25 April 1881 in Bastrop Co., TX. He married Martha Ann Stevens, daughter of Joel Stevens and Celia Pickett, on 18 April 1853 in Benton, Yazoo Co., MS. She was born 5 March 1827 in Franklin Co., MS, died 30 April 1904 in Hill Co., TX, and was buried in Ridge Park Cem., Hillsboro, Hill Co., TX. According to R‑2, she was Catholic, and they ran away to Texas.
Luther was in the 1850 census for 4th Ward, Memphis, Shelby Co., TN, age 28, surveyor, living in a rooming house or hotel. That census gave his place of birth as TN, but all others gave KY. They were in the 1860 census for Colorado Co., TX, page 128. The 1870 census for La Grange, Fayette Co., TX, page 508, listed him as stock raiser. In the 1880 census for Bastrop Co., TX, page 178A, he was listed as farmer, and his married son William was living with them.
They were in the 1860 census for Colorado Co., TX, the 1870 census for La Grange, Fayette Co., TX, and the 1880 census for Bastrop Co., TX. He has not yet been found in the 1850 census.
Their first child was born in Burnet Co., TX, the next 3 in Colorado Co., TX, and the last in Wharton Co., TX. (R‑1, R‑2)
Children – Graves
+2. William Pickett Graves, b. 18 March 1854, m. Sam Houston Ross, 23 Dec. 1878, d. 31 Aug. 1935.
+3. Sarah Ann Hallie Graves, b. 1 June 1856, m. William A. Craig, 18 Jan. 1883, d. 8 July 1933.
+4. Mary Eliza Graves, b. 8 Aug. 1858, m. Isom Douglas Warren, 16 July 1876, d. 29 Oct. 1893.
+5. Laura Franklin Graves, b. 11 Jan. 1861, m. Thomas Winfield Haines, 15 Oct. 1879, d. 1937.
6. Martha Calvin Graves, b. 23 Dec. 1863, d. 6 Sept. 1865 (TX).
CHILDREN OF LUTHER C. GRAVES (1) AND MARTHA A. STEVENS
William Pickett Graves (2) was born 18 March 1854 in Burnet Co., TX, and died 31 (or 19) Aug. 1935 in Roswell, Chaves Co., NM. He married Sam Houston Ross, daughter of James Talbot Ross and Margaret Mahala Graham, on 23 Dec. 1878 in La Grange, Fayette Co., TX. She was born 2 April 1861 in La Grange, TX, and died 30 March 1937 in Roswell, NM. They were both buried in South Park Cem., Roswell, NM. It is said that Sam’s father was a good friend of Sam Houston and so they named her in honor of him.
In the 1880 census for Bastrop Co., TX, they were living with his parents, and their son James was listed as born in Jan. 1880. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children – Graves
+7. James Luther Graves, b. 29 Dec. 1879, m. Annie Bell Roach, 5 Oct. 1901, d. 14 Jan. 1953.
+8. Willie Ross Graves, b. 8 Dec. 1881, m. Gus McClain, 24 Dec. 1902, d. 8 Feb. 1975.
+9. Claude Pickett Graves, b. 27 Oct. 1883, m. Alice M. Wade, 7 May 1904, d. 24 July 1918.
10. Lela Booth Graves, b. 9 June 1886 (San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX), d. 23 March 1899 (Pandora, Wilson Co., TX).
+11. Ida Frances Graves, b. 10 Sept. 1889, m. Henry Beebe, c. 1916, d. 25 Oct. 1990.
+12. Sibbie Ann Graves, b. 20 July 1892, m. George Speer, 31 Aug. 1910, d. 12 Oct. 1976.
+13. Eric Dering Graves, b. 20 May 1895, m. Allie Lee, 10 April 1917, d. 22 Feb. 1953.
+14. Raymond Randolph Graves, b. 10 Nov. 1897, m. Ninna Maud Albright, 30 Oct. 1920, d. 30 Aug. 1970.
+15. Alton Jarmon Graves, b. 2 April 1902, m. Nina Albright, 5 Aug. 1921, d. 5 Nov. 1964.
Sarah Ann (“Sallie”) Graves (3) was born 1 June 1856 in Colorado Co., TX, and died 8 July 1933 in TX. She married William A. Craig on 18 Jan. 1883 in Hill Co., TX. He was born 18 May 1852 in NJ, and died 22 Jan. 1902 in Hillsboro, Hill Co., TX. They were both buried in Ridge Park Cem., Hillsboro Co., TX. All their children were born in Hill Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children – Craig
16. Minnie Craig, b. 24 June 1884, m. Thomas Woodson Stewart, (TX), d. 5 March 1963 (TX). He was b. 2 June 1882, and d. 9 April 1966 in Waco, McLennan Co., TX.
17. Veda Craig, b. 27 Feb. 1887 (or 1888), m. C. S. Salisbury, d. 19 Oct. 1964 (Los Angeles Co., CA).
18. Willie Craig, b. Dec. 1888, m. W. Alexander, 27 Oct. 1902 (Hill Co., TX), d. 24 May 1924.
19. Norvin Leo Craig, b. 20 Aug. 1891, m. Velma Rose Kuhn, d. 9 Aug. 1980 (Cajon, San Diego Co., CA). She was b. 22 Feb. 1892 in IN, and d. 8 Aug. 1982 in Solana Beach, San Diego Co., CA.
20. Frances Craig, b. 23 Oct. 1894, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Brown, d. 8 Oct. 1983 (Orange Co., CA).
Mary Eliza Graves (4) was born 8 Aug. 1858 in Colorado Co., TX, died 29 Oct. 1893 in Hillsboro, Hill Co., TX, and was buried in Old Cem., Hillsboro, TX. She married Isom Douglas Warren, son of Charles M. Warren and Narcissa Arminda Reagor, on 16 July 1876 in Hill Co., TX. He was born 14 July 1856, probably in Itawamba Co., MS, and died 7 May 1904, possibly in Hill Co., TX. At least their first 4 children were born in Hill Co., TX, and the others probably were born there also. (R‑1)
Children – Warren
21. William D. Warren, b.c. 1878, d. 9 July 1885 (Hill Co., TX).
22. D. S. Warren, b.c. 1879.
23. Willie D. Warren, d. 9 July 1885 (Hill Co., TX).
24. Warren Victor Warren, d. 10 April 1893 (Hill Co., TX).
25. Irene Warren, b. Feb. 1886.
26. Gaston Warren, b. Jan. 1889.
Laura Franklin Graves (5) was born 11 Jan. 1861 in Colorado Co., TX, and died in 1937 in Gatesville, Coryell Co., TX. She married Thomas Winfield Haines on 15 Oct. 1879 in Bastrop Co., TX. He was born 27 Feb. 1846 in Chambers Co., AL, and died 25 Feb. 1911 in Coryell Co., TX. They were both buried in King Cem., Coryell Co., TX. All their children were born in Blanco Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children – Haines
27. Hallie E. Haines, b. June 1880.
28. Mary E. Haines, b. July 1882.
29. Laura Winfield Haines, b. 2 Jan. 1885, d. 4 April 1885 (Blanco Co., TX).
30. Thomas L. Haines, b. June 1885.
31. Willie D. Haines, b. June 1889.
+32. Paul Graves Haines, b. 18 March 1892, m. Lilliam Lydie Grabow, Oct. 1918, d. 18 Jan. 1981.
33. Lee C. Haines, b. Aug. 1893.
+34. Ruby Orvetta Haines, m. Adolphus A. Eberle.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM P. GRAVES (2) AND SAM H. ROSS
James Luther Graves (7) was born 29 Dec. 1879 in Gatesville, Coryell Co., TX, died 14 Jan. 1953 in Carlsbad, Eddy Co., NM, and was buried 15 Jan. 1953 in Carlsbad Cem., Carlsbad, NM. He married Annie Bell Roach on 5 Oct. 1901 in Wilson Co., TX. She was born 4 Dec. 1882 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX, and died in March 1976 in Lubbock, Lubbock Co., TX. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
35. Clifford Graves, b. 23 Dec. 1903, d. Jan. 1972 (Roswell, Chaves Co., NM).
36. Warren Debbs (“Buster”) Graves, b. 12 Jan. 1909, d. 11 Jan. 1976 (Carlsbad, Eddy Co., NM).
37. Jack Foster Graves, b. 27 May 1913 (TX), m. Daisy Mae ‑‑‑‑‑‑, 15 April 1940 (Carrizozo, NM), d. 10 Sept. 1997 (Carlsbad, Eddy Co., NM). She was b. 26 Oct. 1921, and d. 10 Oct. 2000 in Carlsbad, NM. 4 children.
39. Elouise Graves, b. 18 March 1919, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Zumwalt, d. 1 April 2004 (McMinnville, Yamhill Co., OR).
Willie Ross Graves (8), called “Grandmother Mac” by some of the family, was born 8 Dec. 1881 in Fayette Co., TX, near LaGrange, and died 8 Feb. 1975 in Pampa, Gray Co., TX. She married Gus McClain, son of Samuel W. McClain and Louisiana McKay, on 24 (or 22) Dec. 1902 in Wilson Co., TX. He was born 30 May 1876 in Guadalupe Co., TX, and died 27 Oct. 1938 in La Vernia, Wilson Co., TX. They were both buried in Mission Cem., San Antonio, TX. All their children were born in La Vernia, TX, in a house on the banks of Cibolo Creek.
There was a lot of musical talent in this part of the Graves family. As a young girl, Grandmother Mac helped her family hold a homestead in New Mexico. By 18 she was teaching music, as she played the guitar, mandolin and piano. In their early years, Willie and Gus were farmers and migrant workers, largely picking cotton. Willie worked at a department store in her later years, until well into her 80's, walking to work every day. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children – McClain
40. Thelma McClain, b. 20 Dec. 1903, m. Joseph Clyde McWilliams, 29 Nov. 1928, d. 28 May 2003 (Austin, Travis Co., TX). He was b. 27 Oct. 1903, and d. 25 Feb. 1978 in Pampa, Gray Co., TX. 3 children.
41. son, b. and d. Aug. 1905 (La Vernia, TX).
42. Gus Ripley McClain, b. 22 July 1906, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Hughes, d. 8 Dec. 1958.
43. Orville Graves McClain, b. 1911, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bunn. She was dau. of Woodie Yant Bunn and Antoinette Pointer. 4 children. Grandfather of Serenah McKay.
Claude Pickett Graves (9) was born 27 Oct. 1883 in TX, and died 24 July 1918 in France in World War I. He married Alice M. Wade on 7 May 1904 in TX. She was born 16 Sept. 1887, died 29 June 1934 in Pawhuska, OK, and was buried in Pawhuska Cem. After Claude died, Alice apparently wasn’t able to care for the children, and they seem to have been adopted by two different families. The 1920 census for Bigheart, Osage Co., OK, listed Edith M. Williams and Joseph R. Williams in the household of John W. and Alice Williams, as their children. The 1920 census for San Antonio, Bexar Co., OK, listed Robert Dickinson in the household of H. S. and Mary Dickinson as their son. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
44. Edith Margaret Graves (name changed to Williams), b. 19 Jan. 1905 (San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX), d. 5 June 1993 (Bartlesville, Washington Co., OK).
45. Joseph Rankin Graves (name changed to Williams), b. 14 Oct. 1906 (near Robert Lee, Coke Co., TX), d. 26 May 1971 (OK).
46. Amiel Robert Graves (name changed to Dickinson), b. 22 July 1909 (San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX), m. Helen Louise Nichols, d. 4 Sept. 1987 (San Antonio, TX). She was b. 24 Nov. 1913, and d. 5 June 1993 in San Antonio, TX. 1 daughter m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ White.
Ida Frances (“Frank” or “Frankie”) Graves (11) was born 10 Sept. 1889 in Pandora, Wilson Co., TX, and died 25 Oct. 1990 in Corpus Christi, TX. She married Henry Beebe about 1916 in NM. He was born 10 Sept. 1889, and died 4 Jan. 1968 in Portales, Roosevelt Co., NM. They were both buried in Portales, NM.
It is said that she was quite a character, and stood on her head every day into her 90’s for her circulation. (R‑1, R‑3)
Children – Beebe
Sibbie Ann Graves (12) was born 20 July 1892 in TX, and died 12 Oct. 1976 in San Angelo, Tom Green Co., TX. She married George Speer on 31 Aug. 1910 in San Angelo, TX. He was born 13 Sept. 1889 near Waco, McLennan Co., TX, and died 21 May 1965 in San Angelo, TX. They were both buried in Lake View Cem., Winters, TX. (R‑1)
Children – Speer
50. daughter, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Millican.
Eric Dering Graves (13) was born 20 May 1895 in Floresville, Wilson Co., TX, died 22 Feb. 1953 in Roswell, Chaves Co., NM, and was buried in South Park Cem., Roswell, NM. He married Allie Lee on 10 April 1917 in Portales, Roosevelt Co., NM. She was born 2 Oct. 1898 (or 1899) in Lometa, Lampasas Co., TX, and died 15 June 1988 in Bosque, Valencia Co., NM. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
51. Eric Dering Graves, Jr.
52. Oard C. Graves, b.c. 1825.
53. Ruby Doris Graves, m. Earl Traylor.
54. Bertie Jean Graves, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Crawford.
55. Richard A. Graves
Raymond Randolph Graves (14) was born 10 Nov. 1897 in Stockdale, Wilson Co., TX, and died 30 Aug. 1970 in Roswell, Chaves Co., NM. He married Ninna Maud Albright, daughter of Gustarous Albright and Amanda Jane Hester, on 30 Oct. 1920 in Richland, Roosevelt Co., NM. She was born 31 July 1900 in Throckmorton, Throckmorton Co., TX, and died 26 Jan. 1981 in Roswell, NM. They were both buried in South Park Cem., Roswell, NM. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
56. Randolph Raymond Graves, b. 18 June 1923 (Eagle Hill, Roosevelt Co., NM), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ James, d. 28 March 1996 (Chicago Heights, Cook Co., IL). Bur. in Oakland Memory Lanes, Dolton, IL. 2 children.
57. Sammie Marie Graves, b. 22 Nov. 1926 (Roswell, Chaves Co., NM), m. Elbert Emery Owen, 3 Jan. 1946 (Roswell, NM), d. 27 June 1987 (Roswell, Chaves Co., NM). He was b. 15 Oct. 1923 in Roswell, Chaves Co., NM, and d. 20 Oct. 2000 in Albuquerque, NM, son of Omer Francis Owen and Sue Cornelia Hall. Both bur. in Memory Lawn Cem., Roswell, NM. 2 children.
58. daughter, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Bush. 3 children.
59. son, m. Joan Crouch (dau. of ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Rhue and Matilda Carolina Fickel). 2 children.
Alton Jarmon Graves (15) was born 2 April 1902 in TX, died 5 Nov. 1964 in Andrews, TX, and was buried in Odessa, Ector Co., TX. He married Nina Albright, daughter of Gustarous Albright and Amanda Jane Hester, on 5 Aug. 1921 in Roosevelt Co., NM. She was born 6 Dec. 1902 in Tecross, Harmon Co., OK, died 16 Aug. 1988 in Hamilton Co., TX, and was buried 18 Aug. 1988 in Hamilton, Hamilton Co., TX.
Although the names of the wife of Raymond Randolph Graves and the wife of Alton Graves are very similar, they are not the same person. They are sisters. The Albright family is in the 1910 census for Wellington, Collingsworth Co., AL, and both daughters are listed. (R‑1)
Children – Graves
60. Marvin J. (“Doc”) Graves, b. 1 (or 5) June 1922 (Roosevelt Co., NM), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Ructer, d. 19 Jan. 1996 (Athens, TX). 2 children.
61. Lawrence Alvin (“Larry”) Graves, b. 9 Feb. 1925 (Central Point, Jackson Co., OR), m(1) Clariece H. Herren, 3 May 1947 (Carlsbad, Eddy Co., NM), m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 30 May 1994 (Carlsbad, Eddy Co., NM). Clariece was b. 15 May 1925 in Electra, Wichita Co., TX, and d. 6 Sept. 1996 in Grand Bay, Mobile Co., AL, dau. of Clarence Malcolm Herren and Ethel Elizabeth Rutledge. Both Clariece and Larry were bur. in Carlsbad Cem., Carlsbad, NM. 2 children by first wife and 1 by second wife.
62. daughter, m(1) Luke Johnny Howell, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Cook. Luke was b. 7 April 1928, d. 15 June 1968 in Hamilton, TX, and was buried in Hamilton, TX. 1 child with Luke.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 R‑3 gave his name as James Luther Graves and said he was from TN, but there is no evidence to support either of those assertions.
 R‑1 gave his place of birth as Burnet Co., TX, and R‑3 gave it as either Matagorda Co. or Bastrop Co., TX.
 R‑1 gave his date of death as 31 Aug. 1935, and R‑3 gave it as 19 Aug. 1935.
 R‑1 gave the marriage date as 24 Dec. 1902, and R‑3 gave it as 22 Dec. 1902.