Rev. 6 Dec. 2011, Gen. 547
DESCENDANTS OF GEORGE GRAVES AND CHARLOTTE RAINES
OF VA, NC & TN
George Graves (1) was born about 1775 in VA, and died before 4 Oct. 1869 in Decatur Co., TN. His name is given as George A. and George Washington Graves by R‑6. He married Charlotte Raines in Charlotte, Mecklenburg Co., NC. She was born about 1785 in Charlotte, NC, and died before 1860 in Decatur Co., TN. They moved to Decatur Co., TN (then known as Perry Co.) as early as 1830. The 1837 Perry Co., TN tax list, district 4, shows the following: George Graves, 115 acres, B. H. Graves, 27 acres, Balam Graves, 70 acres, Wylie Graves, no acres.
According to R‑5, they had another child in addition to those listed below, George W. Graves, Jr., born about 1800.
There was a listing in the 1870 census for Decatur Co., TN for Elizabeth Graves, 55, Martha A., 30, George W., 26, and Margaret B., 17. Elizabeth may have been the widow of one of the sons of George Graves.
The book Texas and Texans, vol. 2, p. 1845, compiled by Frank Johnson, pub. 1914, suggests that George was born in Scotland. It also states that he was born 1775-79, and that he died in Perry Co., TN. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑5, R‑6)
Children - Graves
+2. Balem (or Balam) Graves, b.c. 1804, m. Elizabeth Gilbert, 26 Sept. 1829.
3. Benjamin Graves, b.c. 1807.
+4. Wiley Graves, b. 7 May 1808, m. Sarah (Graham) Bowman, 23 Oct. 1839, d. 11 Dec. 1867.
5. Lucy Graves, b.c. 1812, m. Marshall Ivy. He was b.c. 1814 in NC.
6. Martha Graves, m. Sexton Rains.
+7. John C. Graves, b.c. 1821, m(1) Mary A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, before 1846, m(2) Terissa ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1855.
+8. Mary Ann Graves, b. 28 Dec. 1822, m(1) George Washington Wilkins, m(2) R. Liston, d. 5 June 1909.
9. Amanda Graves, b.c. 1828, m. William A. Wilkins.
+10. Archibald D. Graves, b.c. 1831, m. Saphrona Caroline‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. after 1899.
CHILDREN OF GEORGE GRAVES (1) AND CHARLOTTE ------
Balam (or Balem) Graves (2) was born about 1804, probably in VA. He married Elizabeth Gilbert, daughter of Elbert Gilbert and Lucinda ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 26 Sept. 1829 in Wilson Co., TN. Elizabeth was born about 1814 in Wilson Co., TN, died in 1890 in Decatur Co., TN, and was buried in Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN. He was listed in the 1837 tax list for Perry Co., TN, owning 70 acres of land.
Graves family legend (from Orene Wilkins Hemby) is that Balam was killed by a man named Martin Lewis Fisher, and he then threw the body off a cliff into the Tennessee River near the bridge at Perryville. His body was never recovered. The youngest son of Balam, William Carrol Graves, loaded his family and possessions into a wagon and started them on their way to Texas. William Carrol went looking for Martin Lewis Fisher, shot him on the street of Decaturville, got on his horse and caught up with his family and they went on to Texas. Carrol was never apprehended and lived the rest of his life in Texas. (R‑1, R‑2, R‑6)
Children - Graves
11. J. M. Graves, b. 3 Nov. 1836, d. 17 May 1868 (Decatur Co., TN). Bur. Decatur Co., TN.
12. J. P. Graves, b.c. 30 April 1839, d. 15 Jan. 1865 (Decatur Co., TN). Bur. Decatur Co., TN.
13. M. A. (or S. A.) Graves, b.c. 1840-1841.
+14. George Washington Graves, b. 9 March 1843, m. Manerva T. Adair, 5 April 1880, d. 24 June 1916.
+15. Mary Charlotte Graves, b.c. 1845, m(1) William Robert Wiley, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Griffin, d. 1928.
16. Lucy Ann Graves, b. 1845 (or c. 1841), m. Jasper Newton (“Pete”) Kelly, 15 June 1865 (prob. Perry Co., TN), d. 1873 (Butler Co., MO). He was b. 4 June 1835, served in the CSA Army during the Civil War in Co. F, 2nd Tenn. Mounted Troops, and was buried in Perry Co.
17. William Carrol Graves, b.c. 1846.
18. Elizabeth F. Graves, b.c. 1848.
19. Margaret B. Graves, b.c. 1854, m. James D. Adair.
Wiley Graves (4) was born 7 May 1808 in NC, and died 11 Dec. 1867. He married Sarah Graham on 23 Oct. 1839, probably in Perry Co., TN, as her second husband. Her first husband was William C. Bowman, who died 27 Jan. 1828. She had one child by this first marriage: James Newton Bowman, born 7 Jan. 1826 in TN, married Mary Tennessee Texas Graham (his first cousin), who was born 31 March 1831 in Perry Co., TN.
This Mary Tennessee Texas Graham and James Newton Bowman are supposedly direct ancestors of H. Ross Perot (the Texas billionaire and presidential candidate). See Marie Hill Perot-Miller's Memoirs of Maple Hill Perot Miller. Part of this 200-page book appeared in the feature section of the Dallas Morning News as "On Horseback from Tenn. to Texas" on April 17, 1927.
Sarah Graham was born 11 April 1803 in Randolph Co., NC, and died 10 April 1875 in Red River Co., TX. She was a daughter of John Graham (born about 1760 in Scotland, mustered in Rev. War in Randolph Co., NC) and Sarah (Bruton, Brewton, Benton, or Newton).
Wiley and Sarah moved to Red River Co., TX about 1847. (R‑5, R‑7)
Children - Graves
+20. George Washington Graves, b. 10 Oct. 1840, m. Amanda Pender, d. before 1890.
21. John C. Graves, b. 30 Oct. 1842.
22. Robert Crawford Graves, b. 4 Sept. 1845 (Perryville, Decatur Co., TN), m. Amelia Fleming, d. 20 Nov. 1914 (Red River Co., TX). Bur. Old Clarksville Cem.
23. Sarah C. Graves, b. 26 July 1846 (Perry Co., TN), m. H. H. Story, d. before 1890 (Franklin Co., TX).
24. Katie Graves, b.c. 1848 (Cass Co., TX).
25. M. J. Tennessee Graves, b. 13 Sept. 1849, m. Medford G. Story, d. 11 Oct. 1890 (Red River Co., TX). Bur. Bethel Cem., Fulbright, Red River Co., TX.
John C. Graves (7) was born about 1820 or 1821 in NC, and died before 1880 in TN. He first married Mary A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ before 1846. She was born about 1820 in KY, and apparently died before 1860 (probably about 1854), since she wasn’t shown in the 1860 census. John appears to have secondly married Terissa ‑‑‑‑‑‑, perhaps about 1855, since she was listed with John in the 1860 census. She was born about 1833 in TN. John was listed in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 censuses for Decatur Co., TN. All his children were born in TN, at least the first 3 in Decatur Co., TN. He was a saddle maker.
The 1850 census listed Samuel Phillips, 56, born in NC, laborer, and Nancy Phillips, 13, born in TN, in the household of John Graves. The 1860 census listed M. Renfrow (female), 14, TN, J. Renfrow (male), 9, TN, and A. Renfrow (female), 7, TN, in his household. The 1870 census listed James Renfro, 19, TN, farm laborer, in his household.
The 1880 census, District 7, Decatur Co., TN, seems to list this family. The record lists T. Graves, female (probably Terissa), age 48 (born about 1832), with son G. W. Graves, age 15 (born about 1865), daughter Nan Graves, age 13 (born about 1867), daughter M. A. Graves (probably Margaret A.), age 11 (born about 1869), and daughter I. M. Graves (probably Ida Mae), age 7 (born about 1873). They were all born in TN. The father, John, was not listed, and he is presumed to have died by 1880. (R‑2)
Children - Graves, by Mary A. ------
26. Harriet E. Graves, b.c. 1846, m. H. Vandine, 21 May 1872 (Decatur Co., TN). Married by R. Z. Rains.
+27. Saphronia C. Graves, b.c. 1848, m(1) James Thompson, 20 Jan. 1879, m(2) George White, d. 29 March 1914.
28. Rufus L. Graves, b.c. 1851, m. Mary E. Mays, 13 Jan. 1873. Married by L. M. Steed.
Children - Graves, by Terissa ------
29. Frances M. Graves (probably a dau. by Terissa), b.c. 1856.
30. Martha T. Graves, b.c. 1860.
31. George W. Graves, b.c. 1863.
32. Nancy Graves, b.c. 1866.
33. Margaret A. Graves, b. Nov. 1869.
+34. Ida Mae Graves, b.c. 1873, m. John Lewis Hopkins, c. 1886, d.c. 1905.
Mary Ann Graves (8) was born 28 Dec. 1822, died 5 June 1909 (according to her tombstone) in Decatur Co., TN, and was buried in Bear Creek Cem., Parsons, Decatur Co., TN. She first married George Washington Wilkins, son of William Wilkins and Rebecca Wallace. He was born about 1809, and died about 1842 in Decatur Co., TN. She married second R. Liston. (R‑2, R‑4, R‑5, R‑6)
Children - Wilkins
35. William A. (“Bill”) Wilkins, b. 9 Dec. 1842.
36. Frances A. E. Wilkins, b.c. 1845.
37. Martha Wilkins, b.c. 1846, m. Starling Wallace.
38. Georgeanne Wilkins, b.c. 1849, m. Elijah W. Mays, d. 1926.
Children - Liston
39. Susie Liston
40. Lucy Belle Liston
41. Leroy Liston
Archibald D. Graves (10) was born about 1830 or 1831, and died after 1899. He married Saphrona (or Saphronie or Sofrona) Caroline ‑‑‑‑‑‑. They were listed in the 1870 census for Decatur Co., TN. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
+42. James Madison Graves, b. 6 June 1853, m(1) Nancy Malesa Roberts, m(2) Arbell ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 23 Aug. 1939.
+43. George Washington Graves, b. 6 June 1853, m. Malvina Catherine Graham, 2 Oct. 1873, d. 6 June 1908.
44. Mary A. Graves, b.c. 1857 or 1859.
45. Archibald J. (“Arch”) Graves, b.c. 1860, d. 1930. Bur. Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN.
46. John L. Graves, b.c. 1865.
47. Jessie M. (or Frank) Graves, b.c. 1869, d. 1932. Bur. Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN.
CHILDREN OF BALAM GRAVES (2) AND ELIZABETH GILBERT
George Washington (“Swiv”) Graves (14) was born 9 March 1843, died 24 June 1916 in Decatur Co., TN, and was buried in Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN. He married Manerva T. Adair on 5 April 1880 in Decatur Co., TN. She was born 1 July 1856, and died 27 March 1913 in Decatur Co., TN. They were in the 1910 census for Civil District 7, Decatur Co., TN, with children Harrison, 20, Auther, 18, Herbert, 16, Georgie, 12, and Earnest, 10. (R‑5, R‑6)
Children - Graves
48. Frances Ruby Graves, b. Dec. 1880.
49. Clara Graves, b. April 1882.
+50. Marquis (or Marcus) Delafayette Graves, b. Jan. 1884, m. Letha Alexander, 15 Nov. 1908.
51. William DeKalb Graves, b. March 1886.
+52. Benjamin Harrison Graves, b. March 1888, m. Alta Beatrice Houston, 13 Dec. 1916.
+53. James Arthur (or Author) Graves, b. March 1890, m. Lilly Mae Gurley, 5 Nov. 1910.
54. Hubert (or Herbert) Graves, b. March 1893.
+55. George W. Graves, b. March 1896, m. Effie Hays, 21 March 1917.
56. Ernest R. Graves, b. 17 Oct. 1900, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 1 Jan. 1988.
Mary Charlotte (“Lottie”) Graves (15) was born about 1845 in Decatur Co., TN, died in 1928, and was buried in Marsh Creek, Perry Co., TN. She first married William Robert Wiley. She married second ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Griffin. (R‑5)
Children - Wiley
57. Caleb Wiley, b.c. 1864-1878.
58. Robert Wiley, b.c. 1864-1878.
59. James (“Jim”) Wiley, b.c. 1871 (Gibson Co., TN).
60. Garrett L. Wiley, b.c. 1875, m. Bernice Grooms.
CHILDREN OF WILEY GRAVES (4) AND SARAH GRAHAM
George Washington Graves (20) was born 10 Oct. 1840, and died before 1890 in Red River Co., TX. He married Amanda Pender, daughter of Henry Pender. (R‑8)
Children - Graves
61. George Henry Graves, b. 10 Oct. 1885.
62. William Sublet Graves, b. 18 Dec. 1895.
CHILDREN OF JOHN C. GRAVES (7)
Saphronia C. Graves (27) was born about 1848 in Decatur Co., TN, died 29 March 1914 in Lake Co., TN, and was buried in Crockett’s Chapel Cem., Tiptonville, Lake Co., TN. She married James Thompson 20 Jan. 1879 in Perry Co., TN, by D. W. Evans. He died before 9 June 1880 in Parsons, Decatur Co., TN. Saphronia then married George White. (R‑2)
Children - Thompson
+63. Lillie Margaret Thompson, b. 20 Jan. 1880, m. Joshua Shelby Williams, 2 Jan. 1898, d. 2 Jan. 1969.
Children - White
+64. Herbert White, b. Feb. 1886, m. Ella Ferguson, 23 Feb. 1913, d. 1930.
Ida Mae Graves (34) was born about 1873 in TN, probably Decatur Co., died about 1905 in TN, and was buried in Mt. Tabor, Decatur Co., TN. She was said to have been Cherokee Indian, to have also gone by the name "Ider Down", and to have been born in Cherokee Territory in what is now Oklahoma; however, those beliefs now appear questionable. She married John Lewis Hopkins, son of Jerden Richard (or Richard Jerden) Hopkins and Ida May (or Deida) ‑‑‑‑‑‑, about 1886 in TN. He was born 13 March 1865 in Shoals, Martin Co., IN, died 9 Feb. 1949 in Flint, Genesee Co., MI, and was buried in Flint Memorial Park Cem., Mt. Morris, Genesee Co., MI. All their children were born in Decatur Co., TN. (R‑9)
Children - Hopkins
65. Edgar Hopkins, b. before 1896. Believed to be a twin of Dee.
66. Dee Hopkins, b. before 1896. Believed to be a twin of Edgar.
+67. Bennie Richard Hopkins, b. 25 Oct. 1896, m. Vella Wilhelmina Landon, 22 July 1922, d. 10 July 1975.
68. Pearl Hopkins, b.c. 1900, d. Feb. 1979 (Decatur Co., TN).
69. Gertrude Hopkins, b.c. 1900, d. TN.
70. Clyde Lee Hopkins, b. 15 Sept. 1902, m. Margaret L. Hart, 17 Jan. 1937 (West Branch, MI), d. 27 Feb. 1979 (Flint, Genesee Co., MI). Bur. Flint Mem. Park Cem., Mt. Morris, Genesee Co., MI.
71. Alley Mae Hopkins, b. 221 July 1905. Bur. Mt. Tabor, Decatur Co., TN.
CHILDREN OF ARCHIBALD D. GRAVES (10) AND SAPHRONA C. ------
James Madison (“Pete”) Graves (42) was born 6 June 1853 and died 23 Aug. 1939, both in Decatur Co., TN. He first married Nancy Malesa Roberts. She was born 4 June 1856 and died 9 Dec. 1898, both in Decatur Co., TN. All their children were born in Decatur Co., TN. He secondly married Arbell ‑‑‑‑‑‑. (R‑3, R‑5, R‑13)
Children - Graves
72. Molly Q. Graves, b. 23 July 1874, m. George Mange Haynes.
73. James Maurice Graves, b. 9 Feb. 1877, m. Ruthette Emaline Wood.
+74. James Franklin Graves, b. 14 Sept. 1879, m. Mary Belle Miller, 16 Sept. 1897, d. 1918.
+75. William Ebb Graves, b. 4 Feb. 1882, m. Liza A. Norden, d. 1922.
+76. Emma Aselee Graves, b. 1 March 1884, m. John Richard Young.
77. Jerrusha (“Rushie”) Gertrude Graves, b. 19 Sept. 1886, m. Poly Gibson.
+78. Benjamin Harrison Graves, b. 4 March 1889, m. Ida Mae Still, 1 Feb. 1912, d. 31 March 1973.
79. Roscoe Hugo Graves, b. 5 March 1898, m. Kathleen Dunkle, d. 1947. He was bur. in Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN.
George Washington (“Biv”) Graves (43) was born 6 June 1853, died in 1908 in Decatur Co., TN, and was buried in Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN. He married Malvina Catherine Graham, daughter of Hiram Graham and Malinda Houston, on 2 Oct. 1873 in Decatur Co., TN, by Houston Roberts, J.P. (R‑5)
Children - Graves
+80. Lemuel Graves, b. 17 Aug. 1874, m. Mary B. Lancaster, 11 Sept. 1898, d. 1932.
+81. William Carson Graves, b. 11 Feb. 1876, m. Ethel Belle Houston, 20 April 1898, d. 1963.
+82. Altha E. Graves, b. 8 Oct. 1877, m. Samuel B. Stephens, 4 Sept. 1895, d. 1967.
+83. Sylvester V. Graves, b. 5 May 1880, m. Bertie White, 23 Dec. 1906, d. 1925.
+84. James Franklin Graves, b. 21 May 1883, m. Bertha Louise Yarbro, 24 Dec. 1916, d. 23 Dec. 1974.
85. Francis C. Graves, b. 26 Dec. 1885, m. Walter E. Herndon, 20 Dec. 1903 (Decatur Co., TN, by E. L. Dallas, minister), d. 1960. Bur. Mt. Tabor Cem., Decatur Co., TN.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page