Rev. 20 April 2005, Gen. 223
DESCENDANTS OF JOHN GRAVES AND EDITH JUNE ------
OF ALBEMARLE CO., VA
John Graves (1) married Edith June ‑‑‑‑‑‑. Their names are from the marriage and death records of their daughter Martha., which are repeated in the family history published about 1934. Also, descendant John Graves McClain was told that he was named for his great-grandfather John Graves.
One source says that John and Edith were also the parents of William Lynch Graves (gen. 84), although it is also claimed that William's parents were John Graves and Elizabeth Davidson or William Graves and Elizabeth Davidson (William is listed as son of Edward Graves and Sarah Rice in gen. 169). (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. Martha Graves, b. 26 Feb. 1801, m. William McClain, 8 Dec. 1817, d. 23 Feb. 1891.
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1) AND EDITH J. ------
Martha ("Patsy") Graves (2) was born 26 Feb. 1801 in VA, and died 23 Feb. 1891 in Upshur Co., WV. She married William McClain, son of Henry McClain, on 8 Dec. 1817 in Nelson Co., VA. He was born in 1792 in Amherst Co. (in the part that was later Nelson Co.), VA, and died 1847 in Walkersville, Lewis Co., WV. He served in the War of 1812. His father, Henry McClain, served in the Revolutionary War, and his pension record documents that he was in the battle of Guilford Court House serving under Capt. John Graves. All their children, with the possible exception of Henrietta, were born in Nelson Co., VA. All except Mary Ann moved to what is now West Virginia when their parents moved in about 1842. (R‑1)
Children - McClain
3. Malinda McClain, b. 1818, never married, d. 1886.
4. Thomas E. McClain, b. 1820, m. Lucinda Ann Rhodes, d. 1908.
5. Mary Ann McClain, b. 1823, m. John ("Jack") McClain, d. 1894.
+6. Addison McClain, b. 9 or 18 Oct. 1825, m(1) Cinderella Racer, 16 Aug. 1847, m(2) Roxalena C. Slaughter, 31 Jan. 1860, d. 15 Feb. 1895 (or 1896).
7. Martha McClain, b. 1827, m. Jonathan Jack, d. 1898.
8. Lucinda McClain, b. 1829, m. Thomas Linger, d. 1900.
9. Eliza J. McClain, b. 1831, m. John Racer, d. 1900.
10. Amanda McClain, b. 1834, m. Ase McCoy, d. 1894.
11. Evalina McClain, b. 1836, m. Granville Rexroad, d. 1907.
12. William Henry McClain, b. 1838, m. Mary E. Ferrell, d. 1913.
+13. James Monroe McClain, b. 1841, m. Octavia Childress, d. 1916.
14. Henrietta McClain, b. 1843, m. Henry Siron, d. 1932.
CHILDREN OF MARTHA GRAVES (2) AND WILLIAM McCLAIN
Addison McClain (6) was born 9 or 18 Oct. 1825 in Nelson Co., VA, and died 15 Feb. 1895 (or 1896) in Putnam Co., WV. He first married Cinderella Racer, daughter of Labon Racer (or Rasor or Razor) and Hannah/Nancy Sims, on 16 Aug. 1847 in Lewis Co., VA. She was born 4 June 1830 in Culpeper Co., VA, and died 5 Dec. 1854 in Putnam Co., VA (now WV), probably in childbirth. He married second Roxalena (“Roxie” or “Roxy”) C. Slaughter, daughter of Andrew D. Slaughter and Maria S. Morris, on 31 Jan. 1860 in Putnam Co., VA, now WV. At least the first 3 children were born in Lewis Co., VA. (R‑2)
Children - McClain, by Cinderella Racer
15. John William McClain, b. 24 May 1848, m. Maud Lellia Nunnallee, 28 March 1876 (Carrollton, Carroll Co., MO), d. 15 July 1913 (Tacoma, WA).
16. Mary Jane McClain, b. 7 Sept. 1849, m. Noah Richards, 17 Feb. 1868 (Kanawha Co., WV), d. 19 Sept. 1918 (Union Co., OR).
17. Amanda B. McClain, b. 27 June 1853, m(1) Samuel Kingsbury Sheppard, c. 1868, m(2) Calvin Jones, 3 Aug. 1918 (Kanawha Co., WV), d. 28 Feb. 1934 (Kanawha Co., WV). Samuel was b. 28 July 1845 and d. 17 May 1912, both in Kanawha Co., WV, son of Isaac Sheppard and Margaret Morehead.
18. child, b. 1854, died in infancy.
Children - McClain, by Roxalena C. Slaughter
19. 12 children
James Monroe McClain (13) was born 1841 in Nelson Co., VA, and died 1916 in Upshur Co., WV. He married Octavia Wesley Childress in 1866 in Upshur Co. She was born 1846 and died 1921, both in Upshur Co. (R‑1)
Children - McClain
+20. John Graves McClain, b. 1876, m. Myrtle Edna Armstrong, 1901, d. 1950.
CHILDREN OF JAMES M. McCLAIN (13) AND OCTAVIA W. CHILDRESS
John Graves McClain (20) was born 1876 and died 1950, both in Upshur Co., WV. He married Myrtle Edna Armstrong in 1901 in Upshur Co. She was born 1880 in Upshur Co., WV, and died 1968 in Summit Co., OH. (R‑1)
Children - McClain
+21. Juanita McClain, b. 1910, m. Charles French Warner, 1929, d. 1991.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page