Revised 3 Dec. 1982, Gen. 129
DESCENDANTS OF BENJAMIN GRAVES OF CHARLES CO., MD
Benjamin Graves (1) married. He lived in Charles Co., Md., where his son was born. (R-200)
Children - Graves
+2. Francis T. Graves, b. 11 Sept. 1788, m. Elizabeth Chapman, 5 Dec. 1814, d. before 1835.
CHILDREN OF BENJAMIN GRAVES (1)
Francis T. Graves (2) was born 11 Sept. 1788 in Charles Co., Md., and died before 1835. He lived in Clarksburg, Va. (later W.Va.). He married Elizabeth Chapman on 5 Dec. 1814 in Harrison Co., Va. (later W.Va.). She was born 21 Aug. 1795 and died 6 June 1852. They moved from Va. to Washington, D.C. in 1814. (R-200)
Children - Graves
+3. William Chapman Graves, b. 16 Oct. 1817 (Clarksburg, Va.).
4. Robert T. Graves, b. 21 Feb. 1820, never married, d. 24 Feb. 1855. Served in Mexican War.
5. Sarah Elizabeth Graves, b. March 1823, m. (Hon.) George Moon (of Warsaw, Ind.), 1 July 1841 (Leesburg, Ind.), d. 3 March 1895.
6. John Graves, b. 2 July 1824, never married, d. 2 Feb. 1845. Served in Mexican War.
7. James Graves, b. 1828. Lived in Colfax, Calif.
+8. Thomas Leander Graves, b. 10 Dec. 1831.
9. Mary Graves, b. 1833, m. Antipas Thomas, 17 March 1864 (Kendallville, Ind.). Lived at Gales Creek, Oregon.
CHILDREN OF FRANCIS T. GRAVES (2) AND ELIZABETH CHAPMAN
William Chapman Graves (3) was born 16 Oct. 1817 at Miles End, one mile east of Clarksburg, Va. (later W.Va.), and died 15 Dec. 1884. He moved to Indiana and settled in Elkhart Co. in 1835 with his mother, his father having died previous to that. He was admitted to the bar and practiced law at Goshen and Warsaw, Ind. He was county clerk, a member of the Indiana House of Representatives and of the Senate, and a merchant and banker.
He first married Sophia Ranch on 23 May 1844 in Kosciusko Co., Ind. He secondly married Lucinda Douglas on 7 Nov. 1850 in Warsaw, Ind. He thirdly married Sarah J. Rousseau on 19 Feb. 1862 in Warsaw, Ind. All his children were born in Warsaw, with the possible exception of Ann and James. (R-200)
Children - Graves, by Sophia Ranch
10. Ann Graves, b. 15 Feb. 1845, d. in infancy.
11. Charles William Graves, b. 26 Aug. 1846, Louisa McMillen, 14 April 1886 (Topeka, Kans.). He was a Union soldier in the Civil War. They moved to Portland, Oregon in 1891, and returned to Warsaw, Ind. in the fall of 1896.
12. Margaret Elizabeth Graves, b. 7 April 1848, m. Milton M. Burkett, 3 Feb. 1869, m(2) Elmer G. Harvey, 29 May 1887. Milton was b. 20 June 1841 at Hagerstown, Md., and d. 25 May 1881. Elmer was b. 20 May 1835 in Knox Co., Ohio. She lived in Somerset, Ind.
13. Mary Graves, b. 13 Jan. 1850, died in infancy.
Children - Graves, by Lucinda Douglas
14. Robert Graves, b. 12 March 1852, supposed to have been burned to death in a fire that destroyed most of Virginia City, Nev. in Oct. 1875.
15. Edmund Burke Graves, b. 10 March 1854, d. March 1855.
Children - Graves, by Sarah J. Rousseau
16. James Edward Graves, b. 11 Jan. 1863, m. Vesta Switzer, 16 March 1893 (Warsaw, Ind.). He was in the dry goods business, and they lived at Warsaw.
Thomas Leander Graves (8) was born 10 Dec. 1831. He learned the printer's trade, and was the publisher of The Warsaw Democrat. He was postmaster at Warsaw, Ind. in the administration of President Pierce. He was admitted to the bar and practiced law at Kendallville, Ind., and was city attorney and mayor there. He married Xanthe M. Logan on 21 Feb. 1859 in Columbia City, Whitley Co., Ind. James was born in Columbia City, and all the other children were born in Kendallville. (R-200)
Children - Graves
17. James Graves, b. 3 Aug. 1860, m. Carrie Duerling, 10 May 1888. He was attorney-at-law, and mayor in 1897 of Kendallville, Ind.
18. Hattie M. Graves, b. 18 March 1864, m. Levi W. Welker (attorney-at-law), 19 Oct. 1887. Lived in Albion, Ind.
19. W. Logan Graves, b. 30 Oct. 1865, d. 15 Jan. 1867.
20. Annie P. Graves, b. 31 March 1874.
21. Basil U. Graves, b. 26 Nov. 1880.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page