Revised 25 Sept. 2007, Gen. 121
DESCENDANTS OF FREDERIC GRAVES AND MARGARET ‑‑‑‑‑‑
OF NY & VT
Frederic (or Frederick) Graves (1) was born about 1811 in NY or CT. He married Margaret ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1812 in NY. The family was listed in the 1850 census for Camden, Oneida Co., NY, and the 1860 census for Howard, Steuben Co., NY. They were in the 1870 census for Tioga, Tioga Co., PA. Frederic apparently served in the Civil War and had a pension record. All their children were born in NY, except for Sarah and Frances, who were born in VT.
It seems possible that Frederick was descended from Thomas Graves of Hartford, CT (genealogy 168). Other people living in Howard, Steuben Co., NY in 1860 were children of Charles Graves who married Eunice Nims, including Almond Graves and Alonzo Graves. In that part of the family, the name Frederick A. Graves was used, and Pomeroy was used as a middle name (possibly the middle name of Charles P. Graves, son of Frederick and Margaret). (R‑1)
Children - Graves
2. George C. Graves, b.c. 1832.
+3. William H. Graves, b.c. 1835, m. Sarah A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
4. Almira C. Graves, b.c. 1837.
5. Frederic A. Graves, Jr., b.c. 1839.
6. Mary G. Graves, b.c. 1841.
7. Sarah A. Graves, b.c. 1843.
+8. Frances E. Graves, b.c. 1845, m. William Benjamin Golden, 7 Jan. 1864, d. 15 Dec. 1879.
9. Charles P. Graves, b. May 1847, m. Mary M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1883. She was b. April 1846 in NY. Charles was living with his brother William in 1880. They were in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Dansville, Livingston Co., NY. She was probably married before, since 6 of her 7 children were living in 1900, but none was living with Charles and Mary, one step-child was living with them in 1910, and she was not married to Charles until she was about 37.
10. Ransom R. R. Graves, b.c. 1849.
11. Margaret E. Graves, b.c. 1851.
CHILDREN OF FREDERIC GRAVES (1) AND MARGARET ‑‑‑‑‑‑
William H. Graves (3) was born about 1835 in NY. He married Sarah A. ‑‑‑‑‑‑. She was born about 1838 in NY. They were in the 1880 census for Howard, Steuben Co., NY. He was a house painter. All their children were born in NY.
Children - Graves
12. Alice A. Graves, b.c. 1863.
13. Louella Graves, b.c. 1874.
Frances E. (probably Elizabeth) Graves (8) was born about 1845 in VT, and died 15 Dec. 1879 in Cadiz, Green Co., WI (or 29 Dec. 1879 or Jan. 1880). She married William Benjamin Golden, son of Job Golden and Sarah N. Cooley, on 7 Jan. 1864 at Avoca, Steuben Co., NY, according to his Civil War records. She was listed in the household of Job and Sarah Golden in the 1865 NY census when her husband was serving in the Civil War, and they were still living with his parents in 1870.
After Frances died, Peter R. Wagoner (or Wagner) took the last two children to raise. They are listed in his household in the 1880 census for Cadiz, Green Co., WI. William Golden secondly married Diana Day on 25 July 1880.
William and Frances may have had 12 or 13 children, but only the following 8 are known. The first 4 were born in Avoca, Steuben Co., NY, the next in PA, the next in MI, and the last 2 in Cadiz, Green Co., WI. (R‑1)
Children - Golden
14. Frances Elizabeth ("Bessie") Golden, b. 25 Feb. 1865.
15. William F. Golden, b. 25 Aug. 1867.
16. Richard V. Golden, b. Feb. 1870.
17. Lillie O. Golden, b. 1 Oct. 1871, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Shields. She was in the 1910 census for Portland, Ward 8, Multnomah Co., WA, living with her brother Nathan in a rooming house.
+18. Royal Scepter Golden, b. 11 June 1873, m. Mary Elva Baxter, c. 1897.
19. Charles Burt Golden, b. 20 April 1876.
+20. Nathaniel Martin Golden, b. 21 Nov. 1878, m. Mabel ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1894
21. Myrtle V. Golden, b. Dec. 1879, probably died as a child.
CHILDREN OF FRANCES E. GRAVES (8) AND WILLIAM B. GOLDEN
Royal Scepter Golden (18) was born 11 June 1873 in PA. He married Mary Elva Baxter about 1897. She was born about 1884 in KS. They were in the 1930 census for Winfield, Lincoln Co., MO. (R‑2)
Children - Golden
22. Henry V. Golden, b.c. 1906 (IL), m. Genevie M. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, c. 1928. She was b.c. 1908 in MO.
23. Charles W. Golden, b.c. 1908 (MO).
24. Mary C. Golden, b.c. 1911 (TX).
25. Theodosia Golden, b.c. 1913 (MO).
26. Thomas N. Golden, b.c. 1915 (AR).
+27. Royal Scepter Golden, Jr., b.c. 1917, m. Elsie Louise Foote.
28. Cornelius D. Golden, b.c. 1919 (TX).
29. Raymond T. Golden, b.c. 1922 (MO).
30. E. May Golden, b.c. 1925 (MO).
Nathaniel Martin Golden (20), probably called Nathan, was born 21 Nov. 1878 in WI. He married Mabel ‑‑‑‑‑‑ about 1894. She was born about 1889 in TX. He was in the 1910 census for Portland, Ward 8, Multnomah Co., WA, living with his married sister Lillian Shields. They were in the 1930 census for Ringling, Jefferson Co., OK. In their household in 1930 was a granddaughter, Lois Vanderpool, age 7, born in MO, possibly a daughter of Florence. Nathan was a carpenter. All their children were born in TX.
Children - Golden
31. Florence Golden, b.c. 1912.
32. Jesse S. Golden, b.c. 1919.
33. Bertha M. Golden, b.c. 1919.
34. Myrtle L. Golden, b.c. 1923.
35. Walton L. Golden, b.c. 1923.
36. Marie Golden, b.c. 1924.
37. Emeline Golden, b.c. 1927.
38. Lois Golden, b.c. 1928.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
 The 1850 census showed him born in NY, but according to the 1870 census, he was born in CT. The 1880 census for his son William also showed him born in CT.