Rev. 28 March 2013, Gen. 58
DESCENDANTS OF PINKNEY GRAVES AND SUSAN ------ OF CASWELL CO., NC
Pinkney (“Pink”) Graves (1) may have been born about 1805. He is believed to have been the father of at least the 2 children listed below, based on the 1900 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, that listed Cleveland Graves as a nephew of Jerry B. Graves. He married Susan ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
On the marriage license for son Frederick Graves and Mary Stokes, Frederick listed his parents as Pink and Susan. No last name was given, but it is assumed to be Graves. Pink was probably Pinkney (or Pinckney).
It is possible that Nathan Graves, born about 1844-1849, who married Adaline, was another son. (That is genealogy 66.) Nathan and Adaline were living next to Grover Cleveland Graves in 1910.
A Y-DNA match has been found between a direct-line male descendant of Grover Cleveland Graves and the Brown family of Caswell Co., NC. This is the family of John Brown, and his son Jethro Brown, in the 1810 and 1820 census with as many as 80 slaves. Jethro had a son, Bedford, named after Jethro’s brother, who was a North Carolina senator.
Children - Graves
+2. Jeremiah B. Graves, b. Oct. 1830, m. Louisa Rooks, c. 1860, prob. d. by 1910.
+3. Frederick H. Graves, b.c. 1844, m. Mary Stokes, 1869.
CHILDREN OF UNKNOWN GRAVES (1)
Jeremiah (“Jerry”) B. Graves (2) was born in Oct. 1830 in Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, and probably died by 1910. He married Louisa Rooks (or Rucks or Ruckes) about 1860. She was born in Jan. 1841 in VA, and died after 1910. They were in the 1870 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, when Jerry was listed as mulatto and Louisa and the children as black. They were in the 1880 census for Yanceyville, NC, when they were all listed as mulatto. They were in the 1900 census for Yanceyville, with 4 of their 10 children still living, but none living in their household. Living with them was niece Hattie B. Graves, b. Dec. 1880, and nephew Cleveland Graves, b. June 1884. Louisa was in the 1910 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., VA, widowed, working as a laundress, with son Peter and his wife and daughter, and a 10-year-old adopted son, and 4 of her 10 children still living. Jerry was a farmer. Their first child was born in VA (according to the 1870 census), and all the others in NC.
Children - Graves
+4. Peter Gwynn Graves, b.c. 1862, m. Harriet Watkins, c. 1908, d. 31 Dec. 1935.
+5. Felix Lindsay Graves, b. 25 Oct. 1867, m. Mary Woods, 16 April 1896, d. 22 June 1951.
6. George W. Graves, b. 10 Oct. 1870, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 20 Sept. 1948 (Winston-Salem, Forsyth Co., NC). Bur. Evergreen Cem. (Winston-Salem, NC).
7. Josiah D. Graves, b.c. 1871.
8. Rufus Graves, b.c. 1874.
Frederick H. Graves (3) was born about 1844 (between 1841 and 1847) in NC. He married Mary (“Mollie”) Stokes in 1869 in Halifax, VA. She was born about 1850 (between 1849 and 1851) in NC. They were in the 1870 census for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC, living with the family of Tilmon Graves. They were in the 1880 census for Yanceyville. In both censuses, they were living next to the family of Clem and Elvira Williamson, and Fred was a farm laborer.
It seems possible that Frederick was related to Tilmon, since they were in the same household in 1870, and Tilmon named a son Jerry (same as Fred’s brother). However, the fact that Tilmon and his family were listed as black and Frederick as mulatto seems to make that less likely.
Children - Graves
9. John Graves, b.c. 1871.
10. Frederick Graves, Jr., b.c. 1873.
+11. Susan Graves, b. 11 Oct. 1875, m. William Williamson, c. 1898, d. 29 April 1937.
12. Ony Bell Graves, b.c. 1878.
13. Thadeus Robertson Graves, b. 22 July 1880, never married. His World War I draft registration card shows that he was living in Pacer, Halifax Co., VA, in 1918.
+14. Grover Cleveland Graves, b. 14 June 1884, Delila Hensley, c. 1909.
15. James A. Graves, b.c. 1889.
CHILDREN OF JERRY B. GRAVES (2) AND LOUISA ROOKS
Peter Gwynn Graves (4) was born about 1862 in NC, and died 31 Dec. 1935 in Caswell Co., NC. He married Harriet (“Hattie”) Watkins, daughter of John Will Watkins, about 1908. She was born 23 Feb. 1889 in Caswell Co., NC, died 3 July 1939, and was buried in Yanceyville, NC. They were in the 1910 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, living with his widowed mother. They were in the 1930 census for Yanceyville. He was a farmer in 1910 and a janitor at the courthouse in 1930. All their children were born in Caswell Co., NC.
Children - Graves
16. Mary Louise Graves, b. 16 Aug. 1909, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Gales, d. 28 Aug. 1993 (NC).
17. Jerry Lindsay Graves, b. 27 Dec. 1910, d. Dec. 1983. Dates are from the SSDI; last residence was Baltimore, MD.
18. Peter Stephen Graves, b. 5 May 1912, m. Lola Love, d. 4 Oct. 1969. She was b. 16 Oct. 1909, d. 6 Sept. 2002. Both bur. High Rock Baptist Church Cem. (Caswell Co., NC).
19. Julia Graves, b. 10 July 1913, d. 15 June 1998.
20. George Thomas Graves, b. 4 Oct. 1914, d. July 1983 (Caswell Co., NC).
21. Richard Allen Graves, b. 7 Jan. 1916, d. 28 May 1916 (Yanceyville, NC).
+22. James Henry Graves, b. 16 July 1919, m. Willie Mae Totten, 21 June 1941, d. 18 Feb. 2007.
23. Rufus Mitchell Graves, b. 4 April 1921, m. Idell Johnson, 16 April 1941 (Caswell Co., NC), d. Dec. 1986.
24. Mattie Lea Graves, b. 27 Sept. 1922, m. Travis Williamson, 6 March 1941 (Caswell Co., NC), d. 29 Jan. 1999.
25. Mamie Ethel Graves, b. 17 April 1924, m. Louis Malloy Price, 28 Sept. 1941 (Caswell Co., NC), d. Dec. 1987.
+26. William Douglas Graves, b. 4 July 1927, m. Dorothy Carol Jackson, d. 21 Oct. 1976.
Felix Lindsay Graves, called Lindsay, (5) was born 25 Oct. 1867 in NC, and died 22 June 1951 in Knox Co., TN. He married Mary Woods on 16 April 1896. She was born 3 July 1869, and died 19 Nov. 1959. They were buried in Southern Chain Cem., Knox Co., TN. This family was recorded on the 1900, 1910, and 1930 censuses in Knoxville, Knox Co., TN; their children were born in TN. On the 1900 census, Harrison Graves was recorded with this family as an 11-year old brother-in-law. In 1910, he was recorded as a son, born about ten years before Felix and Mary’s marriage.
Children - Graves, by unknown
27. Benjamin Harrison Graves, b. 4 Oct. 1888 (TN), d. 3 Sept. 1959. Bur. Southern Chain Cem.
Children - Graves, by Mary Woods
28. Louise A. Graves, b. Dec. 1897.
29. James W. Graves, b. May 1899.
30. Jeremiah R. Graves, b.c. 1900, m. Carrie ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
31. Mary B. Graves, b.c. 1902.
32. Ethel E. Graves, b.c. 1905.
33. Felix Lindsay Graves Jr., b. 27 April 1909, m. Nellie ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 3 March 1956 (Mountain Home, Washington Co., TN).
34. Frances Graves, b.c. 1911.
CHILDREN OF FREDERICK H. GRAVES (3) AND MARY STOKES
Susan Graves (11) was born 11 Oct. 1875 and died 29 April 1937, both in Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, and was buried in Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC. She married William Williamson about 1898. He was born in March 1857 in NC. They were in the 1900 and 1910 censuses for Yanceyville Twp., Caswell Co., NC. They were living next to Cleveland Graves and Nathan Graves in 1910. Both censuses reported that 2 of 2 children were still living. It is believed that the first two children listed below were Susan’s by another father, and their name was changed from Graves after she married.
Children - Williamson (changed from Graves)
35. Will Williamson, b.c. 1889.
36. Linwood Williamson, b. July 1895.
Children - Williamson
37. George Williamson, b.c. 1907.
Grover Cleveland Graves (14) was born 14 June 1884 in Caswell Co., NC. He married Delila (or Delilah) Hensley about 1909. She was probably a daughter of Lea and Glendora Hensley (in the 1880 census for Yanceyville), and a sister of John H. Hensley (living next to Nathan Graves of genealogy 66 in the 1920 census for Yanceyville). She was born about 1885 in Greensboro, Guilford Co., NC. They were in the 1910 census for Yanceyville, Caswell Co., NC, with his brother James living with them. Living next door was the family of Nathan and Adaline Graves. Cleveland and Delila were in the 1920 census for Halifax, Banister District, Halifax Co., VA. They were in the 1930 census for Birch Creek District, Halifax Co., VA. He was listed as a farm laborer in 1910 and 1920, and as a farmer in 1930. Their first child was born in NC, and the others in VA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
38. Nannie (or Minnie) M. Graves, b.c. 1911.
+39. Alonzo Cleveland Graves, b. 5 Aug. 1915, m. Leola Earline Easley, 18 July 1945, d. 11 Aug. 1991.
40. Joseph H. (or C.) Graves, b.c. 1917.
+41. John Preston Graves, b. 28 July 1919, m. Annie D. ‑‑‑‑‑‑, d. 15 July 1996.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page
Full name of Jeremiah is from his son’s Felix Lindsay’s death certificate, Tennessee, Death Records, 1908-1958, certificate 51-1383, as posted on Ancestry.com
 North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 20, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 Year of marriage is according to the 1910 census, showing them married 2 years.
 North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975, certificate 247, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 Tennessee, Death Records, 1908-1958, certificate 51-1383, as posted on Ancestry.com.
 “North Carolina, Deaths, 1931-1994”, as posted on familysearch.org.