Rev. 25 Aug. 2014, Gen. 51
DESCENDANTS OF GEORGE BRUCE GRAVES AND AGNES O’GRADY
OF VT, NY & PA
George Bruce Graves (1) was born about 1820 in Montpelier, Washington Co., Vt., died about 1869-70 in Erie, Erie Co., Pa., and was buried in Trinity Cem., Erie, Pa. He married Agnes O'Grady, daughter of Mary Lewis. She was born about 1829 in County Mayo, Ireland, died 31 May 1888 in Erie, Pa., and was buried 1 June 1888 in Trinity Cem., Erie. When she died, there were four daughters listed as survivors, Harriet, Agnes, Annie, and a married daughter in Cleveland. Mrs. Ditrich believes the daughter from Cleveland was Mary.
It is rumored that this Graves family originally came from Scotland. George Bruce Graves supposedly had 13 or 15 brothers and sisters. He was related in some way to Elisha Graves Otis, son of Stephen and Phoebe (Glynn or Glenny) Otis, Jr. from Vermont. George Graves and one of his brothers owned a brick-making business in Tonawanda, N.Y. George and his family moved to Erie, Pa. about 1854.
A Memoir of the Otis Family in America, William Otis, Chicago, 1924, provides some clues to the connection of George Bruce Graves with Elisha Graves Otis, and clues on George Bruce Graves' ancestry. Elisha Graves Otis was born 3 Aug. 1811 in Halifax, Windham Co., Vt. (just across the state line from MA), and died 8 April 1861 at Yonkers, N.Y. He first married Susan A. Houghton on 2 June 1834, and secondly married Mrs. Elizabeth A. Boyd in 1845. This was the Elisha G. Otis who was the inventor of the fast freight elevator. The parents of Elisha were Stephen Otis (probably born in Colchester, Conn.) and Phoebe Glynn, married 27 Feb. 1797. Stephen's parents were Stephen Otis and Lucy Chandler, who lived most of their lives at Colchester, Conn., but later moved to Shelburne, Mass., and then to Halifax, Vt. The only obvious connection with the Graves family is that Caroline Otis, sister of Stephen Otis (who married Phoebe) and aunt of Elisha Graves Otis, married Ansel Graves. Caroline (Otis) Graves was born 18 Dec. 1764, and died 12 May 1834, leaving children.
Ansel Graves was born 18 Feb. 1767 at East Haddam, Conn., and was descended from John Graves of Concord, Mass. Ansel was a son of James Graves. This and other clues indicate the possibility that George Bruce Graves was also descended from John Graves of Concord.
George and Agnes were in the 1850 census for Buffalo, Ward 2, Erie Co., PA, and in the 1860 census for Erie, Erie Co., PA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+2. Robert Louis Graves, b. 29 March 1849, m. Anna C. Lichtinger, 20 June 1872, d. 1 Jan. 1912.
3. Mary Graves, b. 1853. Supposedly lived and died in Chicago, Ill., although she may have lived in Cleveland.
+4. Henry Graves, b. 1855, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
+5. Harriet Graves, b. 18 Nov. 1859, m(1) John Frederick Taylor, c. 1882-83, m(2) Peter K. Zimmer, c. 1891-92, d. 21 Jan. 1944.
+6. Agnes Graves, b. 1864, m. Samuel Althof, c. 1885-86, d. 9 Sept. 1939.
7. Francis Graves, bapt. 16 Oct. 1865 (Erie, Erie Co., Pa.), d. 15 Feb. 1879.
+8. Anna Graves, b. 12 April 1868, m. John Joseph Bradley, c. 1889-90, d. 25 Aug. 1932.
CHILDREN OF GEORGE BRUCE GRAVES (1) AND AGNES O'GRADY
Robert Louis Graves (2) was born 29 March 1849 in Tonawanda, NY, died 1 Jan. 1912 in Erie, Erie Co., PA, and was buried 4 Jan. 1912 in Trinity Cem., Erie. He married Anna (“Annie”) C. Lichtinger on 20 June 1872 at St. Patrick's, Erie, PA. She was born 18 Jan. 1855 in Erie, PA, was christened in St. Mary's, Erie, PA, died 13 Nov. 1921 in Frenchtown, PA, and was buried 13 Nov. 1921 in Trinity Cem., Erie. They were in the 1900 census for Erie, PA, with 7 of their 10 children still living; his father born in NY and his mother in Ireland, and both her parents born in Germany. They were in the 1910 census for Erie, PA, with 6 of their 10 children still living, and a widowed aunt, Bridget McGill, living with them. He was a printer. All their children were born in Erie, PA. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
+9. George Bruce Graves, b. 23 Oct. 1873, m. Sarah Ann McEachern, 8 Sept. 1896, d. 28 July 1950.
+10. Ida Rose Graves, b. 23 Aug. 1875, m. Frank Butler, 7 Oct. 1896, d. 9 May 1908.
11. Robert Michael Graves, b. 15 May 1877, d. 1 Aug. 1877.
12. Benedict Francis Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1879, m. Lillian Carroll, 12 Jan. 1909, d. 2 Feb. 1948.
13. Ruth Rose Graves, b. 14 Sept. 1881, d. 2 April 1890.
+14. Robert Louis Graves, Jr., b. 12 Feb. 1884, m. Margaret Davis, 17 June 1913, d. 25 Oct. 1937.
15. Francis Joseph Graves, b. 16 May 1886, d. 17 June 1958. He was a priest.
16. Marceline A. Graves, b. 14 Dec. 1888, d. 31 July 1889.
17. Catherine S. Graves, b. 12 Aug. 1894, never married, d. Dec. 1976.
+18. Malcolm William Graves, b. 2 Dec. 1897, m. Margaret Yockim, 17 Aug. 1920.
Henry Graves (4) was born in 1855, probably in PA. He moved from Erie, PA to Chicago, IL, where he supposedly lived and died. He married ‑‑‑‑‑‑. His son, Elmo, visited Erie around 1915 or 1916. He may have had other children, but their names are not known. (R‑1)
Children - Graves
19. Elmo Graves
Harriet (“Hattie”) Graves (5) was born 18 Nov. 1859 in Erie, Pa., was christened in St. Patrick's, Erie, Pa., died 21 Jan. 1944 in Cleveland, Ohio, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Cleveland. She first married John Frederick Taylor about 1882-83. He was born in Marquette, Miss. She secondly married Peter K. Zimmer about 1891-92. He was born in 1864 in Berlin (later Kitchner), Canada, died 1913 in Cleveland, Ohio, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Cleveland. Her first child was born in Chicago, Ill., and all four of her children by Peter Zimmer were born in Cleveland. (R‑1)
Children - Taylor
20. Lillian Ann Taylor, b. 23 May 1884, m. Harry A. Myers, 12 Oct. 1910, d. 28 Dec. 1972.
21. Bert Taylor
22. Howard Taylor
Children - Zimmer
23. Irene Agnes Zimmer, b. 10 June 1893, m. Francis Cummings, 9 Feb. 1918. No children.
24. Ruth Marceline Zimmer, b. 6 Nov. 1896, m. John Kutil, d. 19 Jan. 1973. No children.
25. Dorothy Elizabeth Zimmer, b. 7 Nov. 1898, m. Harry E. Thompson, 11 Sept. 1920.
26. Eva Catherine Zimmer, b. 27 Sept. 1901, m. Philip J. Gerhard, 20 Feb. 1925.
Agnes Graves (6) was born in 1864 in Erie, Pa., was christened in St. Patrick's, Erie, died 9 Sept. 1939 in Erie, and was buried in Erie Cem., Erie. She married Samuel Althof about 1885. He was born in 1863, died 22 Aug. 1937 in Erie, and was buried in Erie Cem. Both their children were born in Erie. (R‑1)
Children - Althof
27. Vincent Althof, b. 4 Feb. 1886, m. Anita Powers, 30 Oct. 1909. No children.
+28. Mabel Althof, b. 29 June 1887, m. Howard Lewis, d. 14 June 1965.
Anna Graves (8) was born 12 April 1868 in Erie, Pa., was christened 24 April 1868 in St. Patrick's, Erie, died 25 Aug. 1932 in Erie, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Erie. She married John Joseph Bradley, son of James Bradley and Mary ‑‑‑‑‑‑, about 1889-90. He was born 6 March 1863 in St. Catherine, Ontario, Canada, died 8 Jan. 1926 in Erie, and was buried in Calvary Cem., Erie. All their children were born in Erie. (R‑1)
Children - Bradley
29. Francis Bradley, b. 11 Nov. 1891, m. Mildred Carey, d. 20 Aug. 1968. No children.
+30. Ruth Agnes Bradley, b. 17 Nov. 1892, m. Perry A. Shepard, 23 April 1913, d. 2 Dec. 1971.
+31. Lillian D. Bradley, b. 4 June 1897, m(1) John Donlin, 1917, m(2) Edward Black, c. 1923, m(3) Clarence (Robert) Blenner, c. 1928, d. 4 Aug. 1974.
+32. Vincent Bradley, b. 7 Aug. 1902, m. Florence Alloway, 23 Oct. 1923, d. 26 July 1970.
CHILDREN OF ROBERT L. GRAVES (2) AND ANNA LICHTINGER
George Bruce Graves (9) was born 23 Oct. 1873 and died 28 July 1950, both in Erie, Erie Co., PA. He married Sarah Ann (“Annie”) McEachern, daughter of Angus McEachern and Ellen ‑‑‑‑‑‑, on 8 Sept. 1896. She was born in Dec. 1871 in Ontario, Canada (or PA, according to the 1900 and 1910 censuses), and died in 1955 in Erie, PA. They were in the 1900 census for Erie, Erie Co., PA, living next to her parents. They were in the 1910 census for Erie, PA, with her widowed father and her brother Will McEachern living with them. Her father was born in Scotland and her mother in Canada. George was a printer. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
33. Robert Angus Graves, b.c. 1898 (PA).
Ida Rose Graves (10) was born 23 Aug. 1875 and died 9 May 1908, both in Erie, Erie Co., PA. She married Frank J. Butler on 7 Oct. 1896. He was born in July 1875 in PA. Both their children were born in PA. (R‑2)
Children - Butler
34. Emily U. Butler, b. Oct. 1898.
35. Adalaide M. Butler, b. Oct. 1899.
Robert Louis Graves, Jr. (14) was born 12 Feb. 1884 in Erie, Erie Co., PA, and died 25 Oct. 1937 in Akron, OH. He may have first married Margaret Davis on 17 June 1913. He married Margaret Carol Hutchinson. She was born 17 Feb. 1916 in IL, and died 29 Dec. 1989 in Visalia, Tulare Co., CA. (R‑50)
Children - Graves, by Margaret Carol Hutchinson
36. Sally Bob Graves, b. 1931, d. 14 Feb. 1982 (Phoenix, Maricopa Co., AZ).
Malcolm William Graves (18), changed to William Malcolm Graves, was born 2 Dec. 1897 in Erie, Erie Co., PA, and died 23 Feb. 1988 in Camden, Ouachita Co., AR. He married Margaret Rebecca Yochum (or Yockim), daughter of Michael A. Yochum and Alice May Ralston, on 17 Aug. 1920. She was born 27 July 1899 in Meadville, Crawford Co., PA, and died 26 June 1956 in Stuttgart, AR. (R‑2)
Children - Graves
38. William Malcolm Graves, Jr., b. 13 April 1922 (PA), m. Eva Gremann, d. 29 July 1991 (North Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR). 2 daughters.
39. John Marsden Graves, b. 4 Nov. 1925 (Meadville, Crawford Co., PA), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Williams, d. 11 April 2012 (Camden, Ouachita Co., AR). 4 daughters, and 1 son, John Marsden Graves, Jr., b. 9 Oct. 1959 and d. 10 Jan. 1981, both in Camden, AR.
40. Peggy Ann Graves, b. 9 March 1927 (Pine Bluff, Jefferson Co., AR), m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑ Collins, d. 28 May 2006 (Atlanta, Cass Co., TX). 4 daughters and 2 sons, 1 named Bill Collins.
41. Robert M. Graves, b. 2 Aug. 1929 (Pine Bluff, Jefferson Co., AR), d. 30 Nov. 2008 (Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR). 4 sons and 1 daughter.
42. daughter, m. ‑‑‑‑‑‑.
CHILDREN OF AGNES GRAVES (6) AND SAMUEL ALTHOF
Mabel Althof (28) was born 29 June 1887 in Erie, Pa., was christened in St. Mary's, Erie, died 14 June 1965 in Erie, and was buried in Lakeside Cem., Erie. She married Howard Lewis. He was born 25 Feb. 1880, died in Erie, and was buried there in Lakeside Cem. They were divorced. All their children were born in Erie. (R‑1)
Children - Lewis
43. Thora Lewis, b. 20 Feb. 1910, m(1) Thomas Fitzgerald. Married a total of 3 or 4 times.
44. Howard Lewis, b. 14 June 1913, m(1) Melvina Fisher, 10 April 1937, m(2) ‑‑‑‑‑‑. No children.
45. Samuel Lewis, b. 14 Oct. 1914, m. Esther Tibaugh, d. 6 Jan. 1957.
46. Jean Lewis, b. 11 Oct. 1919, m. John Locke, 19 Nov. 1939.
47. Mary Lewis, b. 17 Aug. 1921, m. Charles Joint, 19 April 1941.
CHILDREN OF ANNA GRAVES (8) AND JOHN JOSEPH BRADLEY
Ruth Agnes Bradley (30) was born 17 Nov. 1892 in Erie, Pa., was christened 11 Dec. 1892 in St. Patrick's, Erie, died 2 Dec. 1971 in Fairview, Pa., and was buried 6 Dec. 1971 in Calvary Cem., Erie. She married Perry Alexander Shepard, son of George Darwin Shepard and Mary Catherine Henry, on 13 April 1913 in St. Patrick's, Erie, Pa. He was born 6 May 1888 in Waterford, Pa., died 7 Feb. 1963 in Erie, and was buried 11 Feb. 1963 in Calvary Cem., Erie. All their children were born in Erie, Pa. (R‑1)
Children - Shepard
+48. Donald Bradley Shepard, b. 3 May 1915, m. Florence Anderson, 10 Feb. 1940.
+49. Marjorie Ann Shepard, b. 21 July 1920, m. Edward David Ditrich, 16 Aug. 1947.
50. Ruth Shepard, b.and d. 14 May 1925.
Lillian D. Bradley (31) was born 4 June 1897 in Erie, Pa., was christened in St. Patrick's, Erie, died 4 Aug. 1974 in Erie, and was buried there in Calvary Cem. She first married John Donlin in 1917. He died in 1921. They had no children. She secondly married Edward Black about 1923. He died in 1927 in Cleveland, Ohio, and was buried in Erie Cem., Erie, Pa. She then married Clarence (Robert) Blenner about 1928. He was born in 1901, died 31 May 1960, and was buried in Calvary Cem., all in Erie, Pa. (R‑1)
Children - Black
+51. John Black, b. 3 Aug. 1924, m. Mary Conners.
Children - Blenner
52. Richard Blenner, b. 15 Dec. 1929 (Erie, Pa.). He is a Catholic priest.
+53. Donald Blenner, b. 7 June 1931, m. Nancy Martin, 3 Oct. 1959.
Vincent Bradley (32) was born 7 Aug. 1902 in Erie, Pa., was christened in St. Patrick's, Erie, died 26 July 1970 in Phoenix, Arizona, and was buried in Greenwood Memorial Park, Phoenix. He married Florence Pearl Alloway on 23 Oct. 1923 at St. Andrew's, Erie, Pa. She was born 30 Nov. 1900 in Altoona, Pa. (R‑1)
Children - Bradley
+54. Mary Ann Bradley, b. 23 April 1922, m(1) Warren Schwab, 8 May 1943, m(2) Neal Miller.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page