Revised 4 Jan. 1994, Gen. 21
DESCENDANTS OF JOSIAH GRAVES AND HANNAH COOLEY
OF MA & OH
Josiah Graves (1) was born 27 March 1773, and died 5 July 1838 in Granville, Licking Co., Ohio. He married Hannah Cooley, daughter of Clark Cooley and Sabra Bancroft, on 7 (or 27) Feb. 1798 at Granville, Mass. She was born 3 July 1776 in Granville, Mass., and died 3 Dec. 1857 in Granville, Ohio. They moved to Granville, Ohio before 1808, but not with the original settlers in 1805. He served as a captain in the Ohio Militia during the War of 1812.
Among the original settlers of Granville, Ohio were Enoch Graves, Sr., who was born at Granville, Mass. on 13 Sept. 1766, and Roswell Graves, son of Roswell and Lois Graves, baptized at Durham, Conn. on 17 June 1758. Both Enoch and Roswell were descended from Deacon George Graves, who settled in Hartford, Conn. about 1636. Roswell Graves served in the Revolution from Granville, Mass., and died in Granville, Ohio at the age of 92. Mr. Blagg wrote: "I recall from my childhood a cousin of mine speaking of one of Roswell's descendants as a cousin of hers, so I presume that Roswell and Josiah were related. There is no mention of Josiah in Granville, Mass. Vital Records other than the record of his marriage."
Mr. Blagg believed that Josiah may have been a son of Reuben Graves of Granville, MA, and may have been descended from immigrant Deacon George Graves of Hartford, CT. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+2. Valorus Alden Graves, b. 10 June 1799, m(1) Anna Baker, 25 Nov. 1819, m(2) Louisa M. Warren, 27 Sept. 1835, d. 15 Jan. 1881.
+3. Josiah Harmon Graves, b. 13 May 1802.
4. Beala Cooley Graves, b. 10 Feb. 1808, d. 2 May 1810.
5. Abial Graham Graves, b. 3 March 1811, d. 12 Sept. 1862.
6. Hannah Corintha Graves, b. 1 May 1817.
CHILDREN OF JOSIAH GRAVES (1) AND HANNAH COOLEY
Valorus Alden Graves (2) was born 10 June 1799 in Granville, MA, and died 15 Jan. 1881 at Alexandria, OH. He first married Anna Baker on 25 Nov. 1819. She died 23 Dec. 1834. He secondly married Louisa M. Warren, daughter of Newell and Caroline Warren, on 27 Sept. 1835 in Licking Co., OH. She was born 4 March 1818 in Hartford Twp., Licking Co., OH, and died 23 Feb. 1898 at Alexandria, Licking Co., OH. Valorus moved from Granville, Ohio to Alexandria, five miles distant, in 1835, and built a house which was occupied by the Graves family until the death of his granddaughter, Flora Graves, in 1956. At least the last 7 children were born in Alexandria, Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Graves, by Anna Baker
7. Silvester Beala Graves, b. 27 Oct. 1820, m. Mary Lansing, Nov. 1841, d. 2 June 1843.
8. Emmaline Graves, b. 6 Nov. 1823, m. Augustus G. Graves, 20 Sept. 1841, d. 17 Aug. 1853 (Hartford Twp., Licking Co., Ohio). She was the second wife of Augustus, who was born 1815 and died 1904.
9. Henry Cooley Graves, b. 12 April 1826.
10. Timothy Harvey Graves, b. 10 Jan. 1831, d. 30 Sept. 1908 (Alexandria, Ohio).
+11. Lucius Valorus Graves, b. 29 April 1834, m. Adaline Bowman, d. 4 Aug. 1884.
Children - Graves, by Louisa M. Warren
12. Simeon Keith Graves, b. 10 Aug. 1837.
+13. Virgil Warren Graves, b. 4 Dec. 1839, m. Edith H. Thrall, 4 Oct. 1866, d. 21 Oct. 1924.
+14. Anna Louisa Graves, b. 1 Sept. 1841, m. Lucius Smith Chadwick, 31 Dec. 1861, d. 4 Oct. 1932.
15. Julius Abial Graves, b. 16 Dec. 1843.
+16. Ethelbert Newell Graves, b. 28 Sept. 1846, m. Mary Harding, d. 28 Feb. 1920.
17. Caroline Ellen Graves, b. 4 July 1849, m. Norris Miller, 15 July 1871, d. 13 Sept. 1871.
18. Catherine Mary Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1851, m. James N. Ramsower, 11 April 1872, d.c. 1935 (Granville, Ohio).
+19. Nora Graves, b. 17 Oct. 1856, m. Truman Wildey Varian, 17 Oct. 1880, d. 26 Nov. 1887.
20. Ida May Graves, b. 15 Oct. 1862, d. 16 Dec. 1867 (Alexandria, Ohio).
Josiah Harmon Graves (3) was born 13 May 1802. The "H. Graves" listed in Alexandria, Licking Co., Ohio in the 1850 census is probably Josiah Harmon. If so, he was born in Mass. His wife's name is illegible on the census sheet, but she was 35 (b.c. 1815), born in Vt. There is a gravestone in the Alexandria cemetery for Emmoline, consort of J. H. Graves, died (illegible) 1846, aged 35. This may mean that Josiah Harmon's first wife died in 1846, and he married again before the 1850 census. (R-1)
Children - Graves
21. Gustavius Adolphus Graves, b.c. 1836.
22. Eber Mason Graves, b.c. 1840.
23. Adelaide Graves, b.c. 1843.
24. Lory Graves, b. 1849.
CHILDREN OF VALORUS ALDEN GRAVES (2)
Lucius Valorus Graves (11) was born 29 April 1834, and died 4 Aug. 1884 in Columbus, Ohio. He married Adaline Bowman, daughter of Joseph Bowman and Elizabeth Parker. She was born in 1834 and died in 1893. All their children were born in Columbus, Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Graves
25. J. Howard Graves, married, but probably had no children.
26. William Lucius Graves, d. 1945 (Columbus, Ohio). He was Professor of English at Ohio State Univ., where he helped teach James Thurber to write, thereby warranting part of a chapter in Thurber's autobiography. He married when he was well past sixty.
27. A. Dean Graves, married, d. in Chicago, Ill., where he spent his mature years. Had children.
Virgil Warren Graves (13) was born 4 Dec. 1839 in Granville, OH, and died 21 (or 20) Oct. 1924 in Filer, ID. He married Edith H. Thrall on 4 Oct. 1866 in Alexandria, OH. She was born 30 Nov. 1841 in Licking Co., OH, and died 6 Feb. 1934 in Filer, ID.
Virgil enlisted in the 76th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in 1861, was commissioned, and was discharged in 1865. He took to the Oregon Trail, and is said to have been the ancestor of many of the Oregon Graveses. They lived in Twin Falls, ID. (R-1, R-2, R-3)
Children - Graves
+28. Linus Valores Graves, b. Jan. 1874, m. Mary Merle Fisher.
+29. Fred Graves, m. Minnie ------.
+30. Russell Thrall Graves, b. 9 Jan. 1874, m. Gerda Nelson, 8 March 1900, d. 30 Dec. 1963.
+31. Lucy Graves, m. John Glick.
32. Wallace Graves, never married.
Anna Louisa Graves (14) was born 1 Sept. 1841 and died 4 Oct. 1932, both in Alexandria, Ohio. She married Lucius Smith Chadwick, son of Rufus and Experience Chadwick, on 31 Dec. 1861. All their children were born in Alexandria, Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Chadwick
33. Albert Chadwick, married, d. 1908. No children.
34. Lorena Chadwick, b. 1864, never married, d. 1 Oct. 1927. She took care of her parents, and gave piano lessons.
+35. Ira B. Chadwick, b. 3 June 1865, m. Gertrude Mae Stiger, 26 Oct. 1899, d. Jan. 1954.
Ethelbert Newell Graves (16) was born 28 Sept. 1846 in Alexandria, Ohio, and died 28 Feb. 1920. He married Mary Harding. She died 23 Sept. 1923. Both their children were born in Alexandria, Ohio. (R-1)
Children - Graves
+36. Jessie Graves, m. Arthur Pitts, d. 2 July 1922.
37. Flora Graves, b. 1868, never married, d. 1956 (in the same room where she was born). She taught school for over 40 years.
Nora Graves (19) was born 17 Oct. 1856 in Alexandria, Ohio, and died 26 Nov. 1887 in Columbus, Ohio. She married Truman Wildey Varian, son of David Hezikiah Varian and Harriet Brown, on 17 Oct. 1880. (R-1)
Children - Varian
38. Edith Varian, b. 12 Oct. 1882 (Columbus, Ohio), m. Alfred Licari, 1936 (Detroit, Mich.), d. 30 June 1964 (Detroit, Mich.).
+39. Anna Varian, b. 30 Aug. 1884, m. Jesse David Blagg, 14 June 1911, d. 30 Jan. 1971.
Return to Alphabetical Ancestor Listing
Return to Main Page